Tuesday, February 9, 2010

100 Wine Blogs, 100 Days Blog 1 Pairing Food with Wine


1. Do you like to pair your wine with your food? How do you pair it up? Do you go with the traditional white with seafood and poultry and red with red meats or, do you like to be daring by trying a new pairing?

When pairing food with wine, there are three main things that I rely on to make my decision: Flavor, Intensity and Body of the wine to the food.

I like to either emphasize the flavor of the food and the wine to complement each other or to contrast with each other. I will also look at the intensity of the food to the intensity of the wine. Is the wine rich and the food hearty? One can't drown out the other. There needs to be a balance between the body or texture of the food and the body of the wine. You can also look at the price, color and region of where the wine comes from, the terroir, oaked or non-oaked and the reputation of the wine. I also may influence my decision based on the temperature of the wine. Is it best to serve a colder wine with a warm dish? Does the acidity, tannin and alcohol match up with the food or does it over or underwhelm the food. I may pick a medium-bodied Pinot Noir or a full-bodied barrel fermented Chardonnay with my smoked salmon. Your palate will thank you when it has choices!

Let me hear your choices on the subject by posting your comments on my page! And be nice!
Bon Vin!
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment