Tuesday, February 9, 2010

100 Wine Blogs, 100 Days Blog 4 Primitivo vs. Zinfandel


4. Did you know that the Italian Primitivo grape and the Californian Zinfandel grape both have the same DNA, according to UC Davis (University of California) studies?

When I was looking at my wine stash, I noticed a bottle from the Andretti Winery that states “2006 Napa Valley, 50% Zinfandel/50% Primitivo”. That is all that is listed on the bottle and they make this wine each year. They take their grapes from vineyards in the Napa Valley. So, my question is, isn’t it really 100% Zinfandel since the terroir is Californian? Would it even matter if the vine came from Italy? Something to ponder. Since I am half Italian, I think I know what Mario Andretti was thinking when he came out with this wine. It’s half Italian baby!

Let me know what you think! Be nice or funny!
Bon Vin!
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment