Saturday, April 10, 2010

100 Wine Blogs, 100 Days Blog 71 Merryvale Vineyards, St. Helena, California


Blog 71 Merryvale Vineyards, St. Helena, California

Merryvale Vineyards is located in St. Helena and is the first winery built in the Napa Valley after the repeal of Prohibition. Unfortunately for us, they were hosting a party in their Cask Room when we first tried to visit. This made their facility closed for all tastings on a day when they should have been open during their normal hours of operation.



We tried them again on another day. This time, we made it right before closing and were able to get the last tasting in of the day. They allowed us to try a few of the wines but then wanted to know which wines we were purchasing. They were a little too pushy for me on the sales tactics. They then tried to sell us a $35.00 Pinot Noir (the one that we did not like) when we were trying to buy the $65.00 bottle (the one that we did like).

They also had tip jars sitting all over the counter which was a little tacky. Literally, the only winery in all of Napa or Sonoma Valley, or anywhere, that I have ever been to, that had many, many tip jars on the counter.

As far as the wines go, they make some great wines. I was not impressed with the snobby attitude. Many wineries are great. Now that I saw it, I will skip this one next time. My experience with Merryvale has been much better at a restaurant then it has at the winery. I guess I had to have a bad experience somewhere. I’ll tell you some other stories about bad experiences in a different blog coming up.

Tell me what you think! I want to hear from you! Give me your thoughts!

Bon Vin!
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment