Saturday, April 10, 2010

100 Wine Blogs, 100 Days Blog 74 What is Verjus?


Blog 74 What is Verjus?

In Healdsburg, you will notice that many of the wine tasting rooms offer olive oil made from their own olive trees in their vineyards. Being Italian, I don’t have a choice but to love olive oil. After tasting some of the different types of olive oil in the Sonoma Valley, it is hard to purchase olive oil in a regular store again. Of course, I picked up a half a case of this stuff and even started to look for more as I went from tasting room to tasting room.



I walked into Kendall-Jackson’s tasting room and found something that I had never heard of before…Verjus? Verjus according to Kendall-Jackson means “green juice” in French. The grapes are harvested early and the juice is pressed from the grapes to make Verjus. They say that it was used in Europe to cook with to add flavor to dishes. It is also used to replace vinegar in some dishes that may not need such an intense flavor. Verjus can be used to make salad dressing, sauces and can add complexity to beverages as well. I bought a bottle of Pinot Noir Verjus, and when I figure out what to make with it, I will let you know how it goes. If you have any recipes for me, feel free to send them my way. They do have recipes for the Pinot Noir Verjus such as “Verjus & Watermelon Gazpacho” and “Verjus Cranberry Sauce”. They suggest a “Verjus Margarita” with the Chardonnay Verjus.

Tell me what you think! I want to hear from you! Give me your thoughts!

Bon Vin!
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment