Saturday, April 10, 2010

100 Wine Blogs, 100 Days Blog 70 Frog’s Leap, Rutherford, California


Blog 70 Frog’s Leap, Rutherford, California

For over 20 years, Frog’s Leap has been farming organically. They feel that the grapevine needs all the nutrients that it can get by having healthy soil to grow in. They dry-farm all 250 acres of their vineyards and their wines are made from grapes harvested from non-irrigated grapevines.

And what great wines they have. We started our tasting on the patio with a 2008 Frog’s Leap Sauvignon Blanc, Rutherford. Light, crisp, with flavors of grapefruit, white peaches, and a taste of minerality.



We tasted the 2007 Frog’s Leap Zinfandel, Napa Valley. Tasted yummy with traditional flavors of cherry and boysenberry, and a slight touch of oak and spice.

Our favorite at Frog’s Leap was the 2007 Merlot, Rutherford. Flavors of cherry and currants with dried herbs. Made with 100% Merlot. It was so smooth and delicious, I asked for more and they gave it to me. They were not stingy at all.

My least favorite was the 2006 Frog’s Leap Rutherford which they call “Rutherford Dust”. Made with 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc. Dark fruit taste with black olive and earthy notes.

For dessert, we were able to try the 2007 Frogenbeerenauslese. 100% Reisling made with 100% Rutherford grapes. Only 247 cases were produced. Made with specifically selected grapes that were left on the vine to rot called “Noble Rot” also known as Botrytis cinera. Made from 70-year-old vines that were around when Franklin D. Roosevelt was President.

Here is what their Web site had to say about it:

The 2007 Frogenbeerenauslese presents with bright aromas of caramelized peach and fig that waft over a bed of spice and white flowers. Rich – even viscous – flavors of candied apricot, honeycomb and citris blossoms are balanced by a mierality that is reflective of its appellation. Try with a cheese plate for a new take on the classic wine-and-cheese pairing.

Grab a glass and walk the gardens or sit in the historic-looking open-air farmhouse. Be sure to spend some time relaxing and taking in the beauty. When you visit, pick up a bottle of the Zinfandel, the Merlot, and the Frogenbeernauslese for me and don’t forget to pet their cat, Tara, she is 14-years-old and living out her last days on the property in the style and comfort that she has been accustomed too.



Tell me what you think! I want to hear from you! Give me your thoughts!

Bon Vin!
Veronica

1 comment:

  1. Veronica, I've visited you 100 blogs a few times, and though the travelogue is nice, I like the "meat & potatoes" of the wine (itself) reviews, and the Frog's Leap was the best of your posts so far.
    I thought it might be nice to leave a comment, my blog gets very few comments, but it's all for the fun it.
    I like what you do with your pictures too.
    I just have a cheap digital camera, but have been trying to improve on the artistry of the pictures I include in my posts.
    If you have time, pay me a visit at: http://nhwineman.blogspot.com/2011/05/grand-vin-de-bourgogne-daniel-dampt-et.html

    Sincerely,
    Dennis Tsiorbas
    New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete