Saturday, April 10, 2010

100 Wine Blogs, 100 Days Blog 81 Do you buy your wine by the case, the bottle, the local store, or from a wine club?


Blog 81 Do you buy your wine by the case, the bottle, the local store, or from a wine club?

How do you normally buy your wine? Do you drink only what people have given to you as a gift? Do you drink your favorites and buy them by the case? Do you purchase wine at the store to compliment whatever meal you are having prior to your dinner? Do you belong to wine clubs and choose from the clubs to decide what you will have to compliment your meal?

There are so many ways to pick up wine these days. I have even purchased online directly from the wineries. I have also purchased from auctions online or specials such as www.Wine.Woot.com. I purchase extra bottles from my wine clubs and from wineries that I have visited. I like to taste the wine prior to purchasing it. I know what I am getting when I have tasted the wine.

I don’t like to get caught up in marketing tactics that make the wine sound better than it really is. We have already seen what happens when marketing gets in the way of quality, with the “Gallo” issue that has recently been in the news. I purchased the Red Bicyclette wine once and threw it out. It was hideous. I was not aware that the grapes were not Pinot Noir. It just tasted horrible. The least they can do is put their name on the label. You can Google the company and find out who owns it, but it is hard when making a choice in a store. If you want to try something different, there can be false hope when a wine looks great but is not.

Make sure you know what you are buying. Ask friends what they like if their taste is like yours. Try new things once you have knowledge of the background of the winery. Look at the label for grapes that come from single vineyards, or that come from certain appellations with a reputation, as opposed to reading, for instance, “California” on the label. Those grapes can be from anywhere in California.

If you find something that you like that is affordable, buy it by the case and drink it up!

Tell me what you think! I want to hear from you! Give me your thoughts!

Bon Vin!
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment